Tuesday 4 April 2017

The OH Travel Nurse, she says yes...well, once I've had a few jabs that is.


Evening all - me again, ๐Ÿ™‹

Well as you will be aware I am off to Africa to undertake a nursing elective - sorry did I spoil the surprise? my bad.

Anyways, to go on said elective I have had to see the OH travel nurse. Nice lady in fairness.
We ๐Ÿ”ญnavigated our way through may past vaccinations of which I have had a few.

It's always a moment of chuckles when someone exclaims "Ooo you've had rabies!" ๐Ÿ˜ท

Just to clarify, I haven't had rabies the illness, just the vaccination for it.

So anyway, there we are, going though what I have had and what I need. Turns out that there were a few things that had question marks over them and I left it to her to find out and clarify the finer points.

I have to call and speak to my GP to see if they will give me the Typhoid jab.๐Ÿ’‰ If not then the nice OH/travel nurse lady can do it there.

She was very good in explaining about the anti-malarials in fairness. A brand I would have bought for this trip would have been a waste as I understand that it's now, no longer effective against Mozzie Osborn and his band of high pitched, wheezing, blood sucking followers.

On a side note - there's always that one that gets into your room at night, from somewhere, and you lay there, listening, pin-pointing the sound with deadly accuracy that MI5 would pleased to have - then WALLOP!!!!! 
You hit that tiny buzzard with a bloody great sandal! Just to be sure you get it. You then retire back to bed with a victorious grin. Come on, we've all done it, be honest....ah there you go, yes you. 

Welcome to the 'Mullered Mozzie Mob'.

I am sure you have equally attractive names for them!!

Anyways, back to what I was on about before.

As for things like Yellow Fever and the meningitis jabs, these are the finer points she's checking out. However I haven't heard from her today so I shall try and call tomorrow.

Yellow fever is a bit of a sticking point to be fair.
You see, the thing is, I haven't been to a yellow fever country and so for Tanzania itself, won't need the jab. ๐Ÿ’‰Great news!

However, if I go to Zanzibar while there, (for the culture of course and not the ๐ŸŒžsun, ๐ŸŒŠsea and ๐Ÿ–sand!!) I am not sure that I will be allowed back in to Tanzania because Zanzibar is apparently a yellow fever zone? I'm sure you can see where the sticky wicket comes into play here!

So what do I do?    It's ok...it's a rhetorical question, just my meanderings as usual. 

I have said I will have the jab but I wont be given it because it's simply not needed. I may just have to forgo the trip over to Zanzibar to avoid the hassle. It would be nice tho'.

Ah well...it will get sorted one way or the other.

Other than all that confusion, I now have the Malarone anti-malarials (thanks again Express Pharmacy) ๐Ÿ’Šwhich were delivered and are now waiting for the time to move round until I start taking them.

Oh and as you know all to well, things are never that straight forward. I will also be given a prescription for HIV-PeP.

This has also opened debate about whether I take this with me or not. It's hugely expensive (around the £200-210 mark) and there is no guarantee that I am going to need it. However, you can never say never I suppose and I understand from what I have read, that there is a HIV prevalence in Tanzania.

This topic is still in discussion.

Other than a few slight points above it would appear that I am clear, in principal, to go. Once I am jabbed ๐Ÿ’‰and am given relevant prescriptions, I also get a certificate. ๐Ÿ“œ

"For good behaviour?" I hear you ask. Well yes I would like to think so, but I think it's more to do with travel requirements for the elective, than a feel good factor.

So there you have it, a rather convoluted report on my meeting with the OH/travel nurse. Once I am jabbed, I will let you know.

Guess what's going to happen now? Ah you're too good at this ☕☕

Ttfn

K x

No comments:

Post a Comment